Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WEDNESDAY'S ARTISTIC DEBUT

Believe it. Mandy Peedin is so SURREAL

"The Head and the Heart," Acrylic, Ink, and Oil Glazes on Canvas
I first met Mandy Peedin; an amazing artist, in school.The Wake Forest N.C. native, was attending Franklinton High School in North Carolina.


Interested in featuring her works, she and I indulged in a very in depth conversation about her style of art and certain inspirations. Unlike most interviews, I was compelled to let her venture and go as deep into answering the questions, as she felt comfortable to. 
 
 Mandy Peedin begins, "All through childhood and high school I was interested in art and would draw all the time. It wasn't until high school that I began painting."

Peedin states," My earliest realization that I could draw was when I was very young. I was always drawing. I have one memory of buying a book on how to draw horses, and I spent countless amounts of time looking at that book and learning how to draw horses."

From there she continued to take art classes all through elementary, middle, and high school.

 Though, it was in high school that she wanted to make art apart of her day-to-day life. 

Mandy Peedin said,"Painting and drawing have always made me happy, so there was no question in my mind what I would choose when it came time to decide on a major in college."


From there she continues the story of her life after high school. 


She graduated in Dec. of  2013 with a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Painting and Drawing; and a minor in Psychology, from East Carolina University.

Mandy Peedin follows by explaining her, "Process of Creativity., She states ' I feel like I can express my thoughts and my feelings through the act of painting. Sometimes I know exactly what I am painting, and others I do not know what the painting means until it is completed.'"


" For example, a triptych of mine is influenced by my exploration and indecision between atheism and spirituality (Christian iconography being the most portrayed since I was raised as a Presbyterian)." Peedin states.


Mandy Peedin continues by telling one of her goals in life.

She is planning on becoming an art therapist.

Peedin states," Most of my artwork portrays what is going on in my mind, whether or not I know what it is. I believe that the act of painting can be therapeutic."

"I don't necessarily believe that you have to be gifted to produce artwork,"Peedin said. 

Peedin elaborates that, "If a person has the desire to paint or draw, they should do it whether or not they feel or are told that they have the talent for it. Anyone, with enough practice and study, can create a meaningful work of art."

"Unconscious Mind," Digital Painting
(Drawn using a bamboo pen tablet in photoshop)
 "Most of my paintings I do for myself; they are a reflection of what I am thinking. I have done spiritual paintings, yes. A lot of my paintings are done just to express something without the use of words. Other times, I'll just paint," said Peedin.

The conversation continues as she explains the occupation of being an artist.  Her work requires her to paint what the customer wants. 

Peedin encountered an issue that resulted in her painting not being displayed, due to the possible offensive content. 

At first she states,"I was disappointed, but then later I realized that a piece of mine had caused that reaction and it made me feel better,'Truthfully, what I paint isn't anything close to traditional work, and I feel like it catches people's eye.'"

"Whether the viewer likes the piece or not, I like that I have potentially laid an impression upon them," Peedin said.

Peedin states," I feel like I am more influenced by the way the mind works, and that is why I minored in psychology. I am particularly interested in abnormal psychology. I know a lot of people who have been diagnosed with mental disorders, and I am fascinated with the way they perceive things, and how different their mind works than a "normal" mind."

Peedin concludes," I believe that creating works of art is very therapeutic. It is not just a hobby or a job; it is also a way to heal yourself mentally, spiritually, and/or emotionally."

"Cosmic Divinity," Oil Paint on Canvas
 "There have been many instances in my life where I have been stressed or in a bad state of mind where I have found the solution to be simply picking up a brush, pen, or pencil and creating something."---
Mandy Peedin






 Click Below and Check Out other Articles.



















1 comment: